Wednesday, September 12, 2007

September 11th Remembrances

Two of the blogs, which I regularly read are Jim’s and McNair’s. Both of these blogs had a post remembering September 11th. Please pause and read them, they are both very good. I responded to Jim’s blog with where I was on Sept. 11th. This is what I wrote:

“I was home with my 2-year-old daughter, while my oldest was at preschool and my wife and our youngest were out. I turned on ESPN and started folding laundry. By chance, I changed channels at about 9:30am and watched everything unfold before my eyes on many different news stations. My daughter still remembers me crying while watching TV even though I tried to protect her from my reaction and the images. Living in Philadelphia, it felt very close and very surreal.

We found out later that a couple from our church was staying at the World Trade Center Hilton and was having a late breakfast in their room when the first plane hit. They fled immediately and he did not remember to put on his shoes. They walked south; someone gave him a pair of shoes and then took a boat to NJ. That is how they got out of NY.

It is still hard for me to watch the images. I still have not seen they movies about 9/11. I am not ready yet.”

What I did not write is that my brother lives in NY City in the Village. His apartment was downwind of the towers and receive some of the dirt. He had to show is ID every time he left the Village and returned because he lived in the area that was quarantined. I remembered how worried I was about him, until I spoke with him.

Another significant event that happened around 9/11 was on Friday, September 14; my wife went into the hospital with a blood disorder. She spent 5 days there and I made many trips back and forth. It was a very emotional time.

Hopefully someday I will ready for the movies about 9/11, but not yet.

No comments: