Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Juggling

This past Sunday at church, we held our annual spaghetti dinner fundraiser for the Student Ministry Summer Mission Trip. The evening is part dinner, part entertainment, part highlighting the ministry and the unveiling of our highlight video from last years mission trip. For the past 9 years, we have varied the entertainment from outside guests, musical groups and internal fun & games. This year it was time for some homemade fun and game.

The leaders of the student ministry decided on a talent show, jeopardy (using a real jeopardy like contraptions that some schools use) and the highlight video (which I hope to post on youtube if I can figure it how). Wanting to set a good example, I announced from the pulpit that I would be juggling for the talent show. Now, I am not a juggler, but what other talent can a youth pastor have--talking, listening, creating silly games. None of those talents would bring in the people, so I opted for juggling.

Here is my juggling background. My best friend’s family (and adopted parents) were clowns--serious, dress up in funny clothes, paint the face--clowns. So I learn a little about juggling from watching them. I was taught the basics and I can juggle 3 balls for about 10 rotations. However, I do not juggle in public or for anyone else. I do juggle for my own kids (because anything I do for them, they still think is great).

Therefore, Sunday is the big day and I realized that I did not practice all week for my juggling talent. Now I had told the congregation that I would be juggling for the first time in public at the talent show, so they did not want to miss it. They understood my level of talent.

On a hair brained whim, as I when I was getting the juggling balls and some fuzzy balls from my office for the show, I grabbed about 10 Frisbee rings. I figure I could juggle them as my encore. (Now I cannot remember ever juggling rings in my life.)

The first set of juggling balls went great; I did my 10 rotations and stopped. It is always good to stop before they hit the ground. Then I juggled the fuzzy balls, again for about 10 rotations and then stopped. By now, the crowd was cheering me on. Therefore, I announced my encore--I would juggle 10 rings. I started throwing them into the air and because they are Frisbee rings, not juggling rings. The rings go sailing in all different directions, the crowd starts laughing, I am laughing. When all the rings hit the ground and a few hit people in the front row, I take a bow and announce I am available for birthday parties.

Comic relief has been provided. As my wife said, “you have no shame.” True, when it comes to ministry, I will gladly make a fool out of myself.

BTW, the fundraiser was a big success and everyone loved the entertainment, especially the jeopardy and the talent show.

No comments: