Thursday, January 3, 2008

Classic warning signs of an abuser

I read this in Dear Abbey (yes, I do read Dear Abbey) and I thought it was really helpful.

Classic Warning Signs of an Abuser
1. Pushes for quick involvement
2. Jealous
3. Controlling
4. Unrealistic expectations
5. Isolation – tries to cut you off from your friends and family
6. Blames others for problems or mistakes
7. Makes others responsible for his or her feelings
8. Hypersensitivity
9. Cruelty to animals or children
10. “Playful” use of force
11. Verbal abuse
12. Rigid gender roles
13. Sudden mood swings
14. Past battering
15. Threats of violence

If you or your significant other has the majority of these signs, talk to someone today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Three years ago I worked with a youth leader who displayed every single one of these signs. When I reported him to his boss it triggered off the worst kind of reaction imaginable, including victimisation and intimidation of my children, plus lies and slander about us.