Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Youth pastor resigns - an eye opener

Josh blogged about a youth pastor who had to resign over a personal failing. You can read his own blog post here. He also wrote article about his experience here. I am amazed at his honesty; especially that he is letting everyone into his internal struggle.

His honesty has sparked a reflection on my spiritual/emotional health. What I am doing to avoid temptation and stay faithful to my family and friends. Here are some of the things I do:

I meet monthly with a group of guys to share my struggles and pray.
I meet monthly with a spiritual director to keep me in tune with God's workings in my life.
I have clear boundaries for TV, movies and spending time with the opposite sex. For example, I will not ride alone with a woman.
I tell my wife everything.
I try to monitor my thought life and pay attention to my feelings.
I try to have a consistent devotional and prayer time.
I have a software-reporting program on my computer, which sends reports of my Internet activity to a friend.
I have a friend who I am completely honest with. He knows my deepest failings and struggles and I know his.

However, all of these actions could fail if I am not honest within each of them. I could lie to my friends and I could lie to God. Honesty is the key to keeping my integrity.

What is something that you do to stay in the race? Are you completely honest with at least one person in your life? Are you lying to anyone?

A simple check for integrity and your spiritual health is to monitor your lying. Once you start lying or justifying your behavior, you are on a dangerous path.

No comments: