Monday, January 7, 2008

How much do you have to believe to be “Saved”?

I would like to have a dialogue on this blog about the topic, “How much does one need to believe to be saved?” (I am not comfortable judging someone’s salvation so I am trying to find a better phrase, like “Called a Christian”, or I could say, “Have right standing with God.”) I know language is important that is why I am struggling with these words.

Here is how I got here. One issue in the news is that Governor Mitt Romney, a Mormon, is running for president, I keep reading different Christian responses to his faith, and if Christians can/should vote for him. I heard him give a great speech about religion, which I felt was a positive answer to all these questions.

I also am a big fan of Glenn Beck, the radio and TV person. In fact, I listen to Glenn so much that it is like listening to a friend. Well, Glenn is a Mormon; In fact, he is the most evangelical Mormon I have ever heard. Glenn is deeply in love with Jesus (as far as I can tell from his words). As it happens when a friend shares parts of their faith with you, it leads you to think about that issue in new ways. Back to the language issue, both Glenn Beck and Governor Romney have called themselves Christians, yet acknowledge that Christians and Mormons have different doctrines.

Here is the question I am struggling with, “How much does one need to believe to be considered a Christian or have right standing with God?” or to put it another way, “what if a Mormon is very orthodox in their view of Jesus, i.e. he is the son of God, fully human and fully God, etc. could he or she be considered a Christian?” We have messianic Jews, could we have messianic Mormons?

I will put it one more way, “how much orthodox Christian doctrine does one have to believe to be considered a Christian or to have a right standing with God?”

Food for thought:
The council in Acts to decide if Gentiles need to become Jewish; the thief at the cross; the Ethiopian eunuch, the demoniac, etc.

I value the input of those who might read this blog. Let the dialogue begin.

No comments: